Cancel Preloader

Study Destination: USA

The land of opportunities

The United States is made up of 50 states and one federal district. According to different sources, there are anywhere from 4 to 14 regions in the US, but for the purposes of this course, we have identified six main areas:

  • New England

  • The mid-Atlantic

  • The South

  • The Midwest

  • The Southwest

  • The West

Education System In USA

Education system in USA

Pre-School and Kindergarten

American students begin either in preschool or kindergarten for one to three years before progressing to elementary (primary) school, in most states, the age at which a child must start school is six

Most school districts offer a free year of kindergarten before the starting year; In most cases, children must be five years of age to enter kindergarten. If you are counseling a family planning to have a child under the age of six attending school in the US, make sure to ask the kindergarten schools under consideration about their cut-off birth dates for turning five, as this varies by school district.

Elementary (Primary) and High School (Secondary School)

Children attend elementary (primary) school for varying amounts of time. In most cases, they attend elementary until Grade 6. They then progress to one of the following: a junior high school for two years, a combined junior/senior high school (generally Grades 7-12), or a four-year high school Please note that high schools can also be called secondary schools.

School-aged students in the US have the option of going to public schools (free) or to private schools (where they must pay tuition or be on scholarship). The vast majority (88%) attend public schools: nation-wide, 9% attend private schools, but this percentage is much higher in some regions and cities, and among Caucasian Americans. Three percent are home-schooled, in which case parents and/or caregivers provide education to children provided their practices meet the education laws of

the state.

International students tend to attend K-12 private schools at a much higher rate than public scheals especially because public high school schools allow international students to study for only one year Private schools have no such limit

Graduating High School

There is no federally set national examination determining whether a student has successfully graduated high school in the US. However, as of this writing, 25 states require that students take a high-school exit examination for graduation, and three additional states have legislation that will see such exams required in the future.

Whether or not a national examination is used in assessment, American high schools issue high- school diplomas to students who have completed their curriculum.

As we have discussed, because different states and school districts determine what is taught in schools and how, the courses that must be completed to eam a high-school diploma will vary from one school and state to another.

American students normally graduate high school at age 17 of 18

Post-secondary Options

The US offers a wide variety of higher education options for the diverse requirements and goals of domestic and international students. This variety encompasses:

  • Types of institutions (e.g., private vs. public, academic vs. vocational, etc.)
  • Length of programs (e.g., one year, two years, four years, etc.)
  • Levels (e.g., associate, bachelor's, master's, post-graduate)
  • Types of credential (e.g., non-degree, degree, micro-credential)
  • Delivery models (e.g., online, hybrid, in-person)
  • Tuition fees (from very affordable to extremely expensive)
  • Location of institutions (e.g., urban vs. rural, west vs. east, etc.)

Eligibility Criteria

  • Students applying to the USA after graduating 12th must provide proof of completion along with a minimum percentage of marks that is required by the educational institute.
  • Students applying after completing their bachelor’s must have the preferred education background and the minimum marks for admission to their preferred course and university in the USA.
  • To study in the USA, students have to qualify for certain entrance exams. These exams are an essential part of the application process and are used to determine the candidate’s eligibility for the programme she/he has applied for:

Documents Required for Applying to US Universities Undergraduate

  • Passport
  • Resume/Curriculum Vitae
  • Mark sheets and pass certificates
  • High school diploma or equivalent
  • Letters of Recommendation
  • Entrance Exam Scorecards—SAT/ ACT
  • English Language Proficiency Test Scores
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Essays
  • Work Experience Letters (if any)
  • Certificates for extra-curricular activities
  • Application confirmation copy
  • Proof of Funds

Essential Documents Required for Applying to US Universities

Documents Required for Masters in USA
  • Passport
  • Resume/Curriculum Vitae
  • Transcripts
  • Mark sheets and pass certificates
  • Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
  • Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
  • Entrance Exam Scorecards - GRE/ GMAT/ LSAT/ MCAT
  • English Language Proficiency Test Scores
  • Statement of Purpose (SOP)
  • Experience Letters (if any)
  • Application confirmation copy
  • Essays
  • Certificates for extra-curricular activities
  • Proof of Funds
  • Research proposal/ Portfolio/ Project Description (for specific courses)

Requirements for a Doctorate

Want to pursue a PhD in your field and be called a doctor? Know the requirements for you to study in Canada here:-

  • Postgraduate degree in your relevant field
  • A research proposal within your statement of purpose
  • Letter of recommendation
  • Minimum score in IELTS/TOEFL
  • GMAT or GRE depending on your field
  • Updated resume
Student Visa in USA

    Campaign 1 Image

    Exploring Global Opportunities with One Hub Study

    Unlocking International Horizons with One Hub Study

    A: Consider factors such as academic programs, location, campus culture, and available resources when selecting a university in the USA.


    A: Yes, international students can work part-time on-campus during the academic year and may be eligible for off-campus employment under certain conditions.

    A: Visa processing times vary but generally take a few weeks to a few months. It's advisable to apply well in advance of the intended start date.

    A: Most U.S. universities require proof of English proficiency through exams like TOEFL or IELTS. Some institutions may have specific requirements.

    A: The USA offers Optional Practical Training (OPT) that allows international students to work in their field of study for up to 12 months after graduation